Zoning / Planning
Before submitting your application, please be sure that you are within the Town of Stanley Zoning Jurisdiction and visit the Gaston County GIS page to obtain your parcel number.
Zoning permits are required for all development activities within municipal limits to ensure compliance with the Town's land development standards. Approved zoning permits are required before applying for building permits through Gaston County.
Zoning Permit Application
- Use this form to apply for Residential, Commercial, and Sign permits.
- Complete the application and upload all required documents at the bottom of the page.
- Watch for email communications from the Town of Stanley Staff via email regarding your permit.
Please Note: Applications are not deemed approved until payment is made.
Applications will only be accepted if completed in entirety, including parcel number and the setbacks for your project. Setback section on application is asking the actual setbacks for your project, not the minimum requirement. Please fill in the actual setbacks. All new construction applications must be accompanied by a PDF version of house plans and site plan. Sign applications must be accompanied by a drawing (PDF format). Incomplete applications will not be reviewed until completed.
Permits will be reviewed within 5 business days. Once approved, and paid for, permits may be returned via email or at Town Hall and collected in person.
For more information, email or call 704-263-4779.
Gaston County’s Role
Gaston County conducts all building code reviews and does all building code inspections in Stanley.
North Carolina Department of Transportation
Some of the streets in Stanley and its extraterritorial jurisdiction are owned and maintained by the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT). If you are developing property along a state road, you will need to contact them.
- Stanley Zoning Ordinance_Revised2021 (PDF)
- Sign Ordinance (PDF)
- Subdivision Ordinance (PDF)
- Subdivision Ordinance Changes (PDF)
- Code of Ordinances (PDF)
- 07-13-1998 Speed Humps Policy (PDF)
- Use of Public Receptacles Ordinance (PDF)
- Sewer Use Ordinance (PDF)
- 02-06-2017 Nuisance Ordinance Amendment (PDF)
- Land Development Design Standards and Detail Drawings (PDF)
- Swimming Pool Fencing Requirements (DOCX)